The 装备 tab of the 英雄面板 opens with a "paper doll" model of the character and, to the left, a set of three interface options: 装备, Wardrobe, and 染料. Selecting the Wardrobe option brings up the interface shown in the thumbnail at right:
- 1. Skin type selector
- Drop-down menu to select a skin type.
- 2. 皮肤收藏
- Shows unlocked skins for the selected type.
- 3. Skinnable equipment
- The equipment currently worn by the character that can be skinned. Note that although trinkets are shown, they cannot be skinned.
- 4. 套装
- The currently worn outfit.
- 5. Transmutation summary
- Shows how many transmutation charges are available and how many the current skin changes will require.
Transmutation is the process of giving equipment a new skin and is done with the Wardrobe tab of the hero panel. The transmuted item will have the characteristics of the original base item and the appearance of the skin applied. Usage of skins is restricted to:
- Weapons usable by the character's profession.
- The armor type of the character's profession; for example, medium armor wearers cannot use the looks of heavy armor.
- Cultural armor of the character's race.
A skin type can be selected either by using the skin type selector or by clicking on a piece of equipment. Once a skin type is selected, the skin collection will show all of the unlocked skins for that type, and a bouncing arrow will point to the associated equipment slot. To preview a skin, click its icon in the skin pane, and it will be shown on the paper doll. To remove a skin preview, you can click on the yellow "x" icon at the bottom-right of the item's icon.
Skins can be previewed on different pieces of equipment simultaneously simply by selecting a different skin type. Skins can also be previewed together with dyes, allowing a player to completely customize the character's appearance before making any permanent modifications.
it will cost to save the selected skins. Most skins cost 1 transmutation charge, while some special skins are free. Clicking "Apply" will spend the transmutation charges and permanently save the skin selections to your equipped items. Clicking "Reset" will revert all skin previews on the paper doll. There is no cost for Outfits, skins earned through the Hall of Monuments or through achievement rewards.
After new skins are applied, the "Skin Locked/Unlocked" text in the tooltip of each base item will be replaced with "Transmuted".
All skins are initially locked, except those associated with the starter equipment given following character creation. A skin is unlocked once per account, after which the skin is potentially available to any character on the account. Skins are automatically unlocked by any action that binds the item or otherwise removes it from the economy:
- Binding: equipping or right-clicking to choose "Unlock Skin". Skins that are bound-on-acquire are automatically unlocked, e.g. purchasing skins with karma or badges of honor.
- Removing from the economy: salvaging, right-clicking to choose "Store in Wardrobe", deleting, or using in the Mystic Forge.
As a corollary, skins are not unlocked by any action that allows someone else to acquire the item, including moving to a guild bank, selling on the Trading Post, or sending to a friend. Items of Basic or Fine quality that have been used to unlock skins can be resold on the market.
- Skins are applied to each item, not to the item's slot. For example, applying a new skin to a greatsword will modify that specific weapon; any other greatsword you equip will supply its own skin.
- This feature is unlocked account-wide at level 6.
- With the April 2014 Feature Pack, the Wardrobe replaced the old transmutation system.
- The wardrobe interface received improvements with the September 2014 Feature Pack.