墨德摩斯（Mordremoth） is the Elder Dragon of plant and mind, and is often referred to as the Jungle Dragon. It is the most recent of the Elder Dragons to awaken in the world of Tyria. The common Tyrian did not know about Mordremoth's existence until 1327 AE, when its corruption and minions, the mordrem, began to spread across Central Tyria from the ley line networks underground. Its existence was common knowledge, however, to the Durmand Priory, Inquest, and Pact, among other more learned individuals.
Mordremoth's minions, the mordrem, are unlike most other Elder Dragon minions as they are primarily grown from Blighting Trees rather than being corrupted beings—some, however, do appear to be corrupted plant-life, and others are animal corpses that appear to be made puppets for mordrem plants. The sylvari originate from the Jungle Dragon as well, as the Pale Tree is a purified Blighting Tree—how it became purified remains unknown. Mordremoth is capable of accessing the Dream of Dreams, though does not appear to be the source of it as both the Dream and the Nightmare act as barriers against Mordremoth. This barrier is imperfect, however, as Wyld Hunts and Dark Hunts allow Mordremoth's influence to seep through to implant thoughts into sylvari. Through this, Mordremoth is capable of convincing weak-willed sylvari—who cannot separate their own thoughts from those it implanted—to serve it, and they become Mordrem Guard.
Mordremoth's rise was initiated by Scarlet Briar, a sylvari who had gone mad after hearing its whispers in 1321 AE after entering Omadd's Machine, eventually being shown "images of death, destruction, and destiny." Following ideas she believed to be her own, she gathered resources and armies to locate a powerful ley line hub, and in 1327 AE launched a full-scale invasion upon Lion's Arch, which is situated above the hub. Though she died in the invasion, Scarlet Briar's airship, the Breachmaker, dug deep into the ground and struck the ley line hub, sending magical energy deep into the Heart of Maguuma and into Mordremoth's sleeping but waiting maw and allowing it to awaken.
Its initial rise was only known to Tyria through a single dragon's roar, but no indication was shown that Tyrians knew which dragon was heard. Within a year's time, Mordremoth spread its body and its corruption through vines, assaulting waypoints along the ley lines it had access to and draining them of magic. Mordremoth's forces grew expansive enough for it to send mordrem to Kryta, the Shiverpeak Mountains, and even Ascalon, assaulting fortified locations such as Fort Salma and Concordia which held magical artifacts to feast upon.
In early 1328 AE, the Pact gathered its airships and launched a full-scale war towards Magus Falls where the Elder Dragon and its minions were heaviest. Within a matter of moments after firing upon the jungle, however, gargantuan vines stretched forth and tore into the fleets. At the same time, hundreds of sylvari upon the airships turned against their fellow soldiers and assaulted the Pact as their burning airships fell from the sky. Though many of the Pact survived, they were beaten and battered with too few defenses in the jungle. Under the leadership of the Pact Commander, Laranthir of the Wild, and Shashoo, the Pact recovered, gathered new allies from the native Itzel, Nuhoch, Exalted, Rata Novan golems, and even Nightmare Courtiers, and marched southward towards the coast of Magus Falls: Dragon's Stand. After pushing through against Mordremoth's greatest champions, they faced down its physical body while the Pact Commander confronted Mordremoth where it was weakest: its mental connection to the Dream. Assault both from within and without, Mordremoth eventually fell, but not before ensuring the death of the Pact Marshal Trahearne at the hands of the Pact Commander. From its death, a burst of energy exploded, leaving its body and traveling along the ley lines in four directions.
According to Taimi during Taimi's Game, Mordremoth had absorbed latent magic from Zhaitan allowing it to use corpses in its manufacturing of Mordrem. However, unlike Zhaitan, Mordremoth never actually corrupted the corpses nor did its minions have abilities related to death magic; similarly, the Pale Tree was capable of doing similar when creating the sylvari based off of human corpses.
Due to Mordremoth's powers, it is often referred to as having an expansive body that stretches across the jungle, seen with the writhing vines in the depths of locations such as Verdant Brink. According to Canach and Trahearne, Mordremoth is the jungle itself though this in actuality refers to the dragon's corruption. While Mordremoth is an entity of mind and dream, its physical, non-plant-like body is called the "Mouth of Mordremoth". Snake-like in appearance, it grows its vines from across its body and remains rooted near a gigantic tree, the Heart of Thorns, within the Dragon's Domain. While the mordrem marched upon Tyria, Mordremoth's body remained to consume ley energy from the hub that it awoke upon with the intent to use the absorbed magic to annihilate the Pact and all other resistance.
Though its physical body can be destroyed, Mordremoth is capable of regrowing its body from its corruption and, if necessary, moving its mind to another host connected to it due to its power of mind and connection to the Dream. This ability effectively makes Mordremoth immortal so long as any of its corruption remains in the world, which has proven too quickly spread and dug in too deep into the ground to be a reliable means of fighting it.
Even after the dragon's mind is destroyed, the Mouth of Mordremoth appears to antagonize the Pact again, making some Pact members refer to it as the physical manifestation of the dragon's hunger before it is put down for good. Elsewhere, Mordrem Vines went motionless as Mordremoth's mind was no longer within them. When the Mouth of Mordremoth is defeated, all of the vines and foliage covering it burn away, leaving only a draconic body behind.
Heart of Thorns story
- Act I
- Act IV
In Dragon's Stand
- Dragon Fear - Roars, causing [[Fear|]] and [[Torment|]]
- Shock Wave — Pulses for moderate direct damage when players touch the Mouth of Mordremoth's body and hits for extremely high damage when the Mouth of Mordremoth causes waves by headbutting an island
In Hearts and Minds
- Massive Area Attacks
- Teleports and evades.
- Becomes a mobile [[Confusion|]] ring. 240 radius.
- [[Occipital Mastery|]] —
- [[Frontal Mastery|]] —
- [[Empowered (Hearts and Minds)|]] —
- [[Parietal Mastery|]] —
- [[Temporal Mastery|]] —
- [[Weakened (effect 1)|]] —
- Ley Strike — Swipe twice at foe to deal damage. 2 hits. Hits with left arm first.
- Temporal Leap — Leap a short distance at foe.
- Furious Blows — A cone PBAoE that deals multiple damage and applies [[Knockback|]] to foes in front. 1s activation. 4 hits. 480 radius. Huddles then displays a red cone AoE indicator before attack. Hits with right arm first.
- Ley Storm — Create a PBAoE ring field that apples Pull to foes that cross the outer line. Field deals damage, applies [[Blind|]] and causes [[Knockdown|]] to foes. 480 inner radius. 960 outer radius. [[Knockback|]] to foes that cross the inner line and
- Ley Fire — Fire a ground projectile that creates 9 damage fields. Fields grant [[Quickness|]] (1s) to self and applies [[Slow|]] (1s) to foes on hit. 1200 range. 120 radius. 10s duration.
- Ley Slam
- Ley Lightning — A timed strike of lightning shoots for large AoE damage.
- Tormenting Volley — Summon a floating orb that shoots multiple [[Torment|]]ing projectiles at multiple foes. 10s duration. 25 projectiles. 1200 range.
- During Dragon's Stand (meta event)
- Who dares defy my eternal will?
- You were foolish to draw my attention.
- I am beyond your ability to comprehend.
- Insects! You flail and squirm before the infinite.
- You are nothing. Submit to me, and serve!
- This world shall suffer for your insolence.
- Concept art
- Mordremoth concept art 2.jpg
- Dragon 15 concept art.jpg
- Teeth of Mordremoth.jpg
- Mastery Mood Piece concept art (compressed).jpg
- Dragon's Stand loading screen.jpg
- Hearts and Minds loading screen.jpg
- Mordremoth concept art 3.jpg
- "Mordremoth Head" concept art.jpg
- "Mordremoth Head" concept art 2.jpg
- Mouth of Mordremoth render.png
- Avatar of Mordremoth render.png
- Face of Mordremoth.jpg
Shadow of Mordremoth's mind.
- Avatar of Mordremoth.jpg
Avatar of Mordremoth's mind.
- Mouth of Mordremoth.jpg
Mordremoth's physical body.
- Dying Mouth of Mordremoth.jpg
Dying Mouth of Mordremoth.
- Trahearne Possessed.jpg
Mordremoth possessing Trahearne.
- Mordremoth dead.jpg
Corpse of Mordremoth's physical body.
- Mordremoth's Brain.jpg
Representation of Mordremoth's brain inside Hearts and Minds.
- Mordremoth's voice actor is Nolan North.
- Its name is similar to Mordred, a knight in Arthurian mythology.
- It has its own leitmotif, called "Mordremoth's Theme", which was composed by Maclaine Diemer.
|“||Originally we were planning to not make a world boss at all. It was added very last minute. I recall being told something along the lines of we have one month to create a world boss before code and content. We were given more time in the end. I would say I spent about 8 weeks from concept to final in-game model.||”|
- Guild Wars 2 - Battle for Lion's Arch Finale Cinematic - YouTube
- Video of Mouth of Mordremoth's animations