—— When the reactor blew, the world's fabric turned inside-out. Some things will never be the same.
The 奇术新星反应堆 is a ruined asuran complex in northwest 度量领域. It was destroyed recently in an 审讯团 experiment gone awry, when they were studying draconic energies (inaccurately believed to be more chaos magic by the Inquest) when the facility was designed to study actual chaos magic. The resulting explosion tore the fabric of reality, an attribute of chaos magic, and created chaos rifts teleporting creatures from across 泰瑞亚 of the surrounding areas.
Unintentionally, the experiment helped the Inquest and their consultant identify the network of magical channels that criss-cross the globe known as ley lines. The complex itself was built on an intersection of these channels, causing the disaster. After the explosion, the energy source that the Inquest was experimenting on was moved to the 奇术核咨询中心 in the 托萨欧沼泽, causing the chaos effect to spread northward. The effects of the underground experiment also affected other areas such as the 混乱晶窟 in the 钢铁平原.
The site of the disaster is considered extremely dangerous, as it is full of chaotic materials and waste, on top of the aforementioned creatures teleported in at random. Additionally, the disaster seems to have divided the area up into five distinct sections, four of which hold ties to the elements of fire, ice, water, and vegetation - as well as a nearby cavern holding a 烙印怪-looking crystal.
Locations and objectives
- Hero Challenges
- Ancient Elemental Fire Energy
- Mini-jumping puzzles
- There are two short jumping puzzles associated with charging the 矩阵立方钥匙 that is used to start the Defeat the misplaced steam ogre event.
- 极地熊 (15) (Summoned randomly)
- Ice Drake (15) (Summoned randomly)
- Marsh Drake (15)
- Scaled Drake (15) (Summoned randomly)
- Veteran Marsh Drake
- 鹰眼狮鹫 (15) (Summoned randomly)
- 火焰小恶魔 (16) (Summoned randomly)
·每次结算获得10点分数]] (15) (Summoned randomly)
- 剧毒软泥怪 (15)
- 蒸汽巨人 (15) (Summoned randomly)
- 微风水母 (16)
- Researcher: When the reactor blew, the world's fabric turned inside-out. Some things will never be the same.
- Krewe Researcher: Things are feeling a little bit less chaotic. Maybe now Rooba can bring that golem in to clean up some of the magic energies.
- Krewe Researcher: (coughing)
- The Thaumanova disaster bears some resemblance to the disaster at the fictional Black Mesa Research Facility in the Half-Life video game series.
- The name Thaumanova is derived from "Thauma" or "Thaum" meaning magic (from the Greek words θαῦμα thaûma, meaning "miracle" or "marvel") and either "Nova" meaning a cataclysmic nuclear explosion (From Latin nova, meaning "new") or "ANOVA", a method to analyse the variance in test samples. Therefore the name Thaumanova can be read to mean both "massive magical explosion", referencing the disaster and " analysis of variance in magic", referencing the research that was happening there.
- It is possible that Thaumanova is inspired by the real life nuclear disaster that occured in Chernobyl. The nuclear powerplant had a catastrophic increase of pressure, and spread radioactive pollutants into the environment. The land surrounding the ruins of the powerplant within a 30km radius is an exclusion zone, due to toxic levels of radiation. The Chernobyl exclusion zone is visited frequently by scientists in protective gear to study the anomalous flora and fauna that have mutated there due to the radiation.