Generally, salvaging rare or exotic equipment (armor, trinkets, and weapons) with a required level of 68 or higher yields between 0 and 3 Globs of Ectoplasm. While there have been reports of a Glob of Ectoplasm being produced from items with a level below 68 or a lesser quality than rare, these exceptions are few and far between. See the talk page for further discussion.
Extensive testing suggests that the drop rate is affected by three factors:
- Level requirement: equipment rated at level 68 or higher have much higher yields than lower-level items.
- Item rarity: rare and exotic items are much more likely to produce ecto than items of lower quality.
- Kit quality: A controlled test reports that Master's and Mystic Salvage Kits yield about 0.875 ecto/rare, and Black Lion Salvage Kits are anecdotally reported to give about 1.25 ecto/rare:
|Ectos produced per Rare item with a Master's/Mystic Salvage Kit|
These vendors sell items that may be "destabilize" to gain globs of ectoplasm and valuable junk items in random amounts.
Globs of Ectoplasm can be salvaged into Piles of Crystalline Dust and Essences of Luck as follows:
- Pile of Crystalline Dust(1–5)
And one of the following:
- Essence of Luck (fine)(5–15)
- Essence of Luck (masterwork)(2–3)
- Essence of Luck (rare)
- Essence of Luck (exotic)(1–4)
Salvage research can be found here.
- Armor recipes: Armorsmith, Leatherworker, Tailor
- Weapon recipes: Weaponsmith, Huntsman, Artificer
- Other recipes: Chef and Jeweler, Mystic Forge
- The June 11, 2013, game update made Globs of Ectoplasm salvageable into Piles of Crystalline Dust. The change was introduced to "help Globs of Ectoplasm maintain a strong value in the economy and lower the cost of Crystalline Dust."
- Malgalad, Glob Salvage Tests